Thursday, May 6, 2010

Goodbye to the Southern Mountains and Heading for the Virginia Highlands

After a few restful days in Hot Springs, I climbed up and out with amazing views of the town. We camped near a fire tower and had some trail magic (pictures and thank yous to come when I get to another library. The weather crossing Big Bald was torrential and spent a cold wet night in a crowded shelter. We spent some time in Erwin and covered some big miles over Beauty Spot, Roan Mountain, and the surrounding balds and had an amazing run of trail magic and hostel stays so I am still carrying the food I bought in Erwin. The Breakfast Mary and Terry make at Mountain Harbour B &B in Roan Mountain TN is the best I've had anywhere. Pond Mountain was the last major climb before VA and a few days ago we left NC for good. On to Damascus and Trail Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment