Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Picture, and other recent developments

It has been an eventful week since my last post. I have walked my first 100 mile week and then some and am now only a 10 day stretch south of the Shenandoahs. I have walked through some tough terrain north of Pearisburg and have reached a few of the Iconic places on the trail. I had a really low couple of days and sat at one road crossing contemplating calling for a ride and perhaps ending the trip, but as these things often go I have had the best days on the trail recently thanks in part to the folks that are hiking this section with me. "Caboose," who hiked in 2006, joined us a few days ago and had a car waiting when we got into town and has chauffeured us around for the last two days. I even got to see Robin Hood last night in a large town away from the trail. I've crossed several more milestones or will in the next day or two including; less than 1500 miles to go, 1/3 of the trail complete, 700 miles, and 1/2 way through Virgina. I also did my first night hike of the trip into town two nights ago - this included an unbelievable view of fog rising in the dark off a huge mountain lined lake. It was surreal.

And now the picture, for which I have waited 20 years or more,


Me on the iconic McAfee knob. From the time I first saw the image of a backpacker on this rock in a "Virginia is For Lovers" commercial, I have wanted to get this picture after climbing this mountain!

Other trail moments:



Mad Mike rinsing his feet in the falls


Mad Mike and Bear Blaze with some blooming Rhododendrons near Damascus.




Entering Damascus.




The spectacular Grayson Highlands.




Mad Mike going through the FatMan Squeeze tunnel.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in, brother. Awesome photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof. Great job. Wonderful pictures. Mad Mike and I'll be looking for you in New England. Hydro (2012)

    ReplyDelete