Monday, April 5, 2010

Long days and wonderful people!

I was fully prepared for the range of characters I would meet who were themselves doing the trail. The ghostly fast packers you only meet once. The gearhead, the social organizer, the contemplative recluse, and the endless joyful walkers. They have all been as delightful as expected. The people, for whom I was not prepared, are the constant stream of extraordinarily hospitable and helpful people off the trail; providing rides, offering food, planning parties and generally doing everything they can think of to help a perfect stranger fulfill their dream. They are known as "Trail Angels" and so far they are everywhere.
The walking in North Carolina has been more varied and often more reasonably graded than Georgia. There has even been some flat walking. I am starting to ramp the mileage up a bit and my body is adjusting to the rigors of the trail.
This past weekend there was a hikers fest and I had a chance to catch up with some early friends. We have started to spread out a bit. A few days ago, I had to strike out and leave pretty much everyone behind, but soon met some great new folks. I should be in the Smokies pretty soon, which includes the highest point on the trail.
I have many great pictures to add when I get a bit of PC time on a reasonable computer, including my first ever spokesmodel.

1 comment: