Wednesday, March 10, 2010

An Odd Decision?

I have been struck, in the last few days, as I make final preparations and catch friends for a final time before I go, what an odd decision I appear to have made. To drop out of life as I know it, right in the middle, and wander into a strange half-life. Statistically speaking, there will not be others who look like me on the trail. It is very rare that someone in the middle of their earning/family-building years attempts a thru-hike. The vast majority of thru-hikers have completed one of two major milestones - graduated college or retired after putting kids through college. (If you are interested in what goes into making up a thru-hiker sociologically, I recommend the excellent book  Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail by Roland Mueser)

 So I suppose I should not be surprised when I mention my intentions to the average person, they look at me with a mixture of confusion and disbelief. Especially when I answer the follow up question common to folks out here in the wide open west when considering an east coast trail "How long will that take? 3 -4 weeks?" "Um, about 6 months."  "?????????"

It is true that I am, in certain ways, fortunate: a company that encourages missions of personal discovery, a partner who can grimly accept having to handle the maintenance of our household herself, and the wherewithal to forego a few months of salary since there are as yet no children to consider. I suppose though the main thing required is whatever disorder is required to make the decision in the first place. It is and odd choice, and yet I can't imagine it being any other way for me at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment